Speakers & Presentations
The 5 pillars of the Decade of Action for Road Safety 2011-2020 — a goal established by the UN General Assembly to “stabilize and then reduce global road traffic fatalities by 2020.”
Maria (Nani) Fernanda Rodriguez
Pillar 1, Road safety management
Maria (Nani) Fernanda Rodriguez from the Fundacion Gonzalo Rodriguez in Uruguay will speak about the foundation’s efforts to advance child road safety in Latin America and the Caribbean through research, training, and advocacy. Research initiatives of the foundation include pedestrian safety around schools, child restraint systems, school transport safety, and child passenger safety on motorcycles. María Fernanda “Nani” Rodríguez is Fundación Gonzalo Rodríguez Founder and President. In 2000, she decided to honor her brother, Gonzalo Rodríguez, racing driver “Gonchi” who died in 1999, by creating the Fundación Gonzalo Rodríguez to improve the quality of life of children. Her pro-bono participation includes strategic planning, fundraising and to be the spokesperson for the Foundation. Since the establishment of the organization, she has been presenting and disseminating the Foundation’s work in organizations such as the United Nations (UN), where since 2011 the Foundation has become a member of the United Nations Road Safety Collaboration (UNRSC). She has also been presenting the Foundation´s work in several countries including Argentina, Chile, Mexico, Switzerland, United States and Spain.
Pillar 2, Infrastructure
Julio Urzua, Latin America and Caribbean Regional Director of the International Road Assessment Program (iRAP) will discuss the 1 to 5-star rating system they are using to assess road infrastructure and improve road safety for all users (pedestrians, cyclists, motorcyclists, and vehicle occupants). The iRAP advocates for a minimum 3-star rating for all roads, as every additional star can reduce the number of crash-related injuries on a road by ~50%.
Speaker 3 Coming Soon!
Pillar 3, Safe Vehicles
Pillar 4, Road user behavior
Tom Bishop will speak about his work on road safety with Amend in 10 countries in sub-Saharan Africa, a continent which has the world’s highest road traffic injury rates. He will speak about the Safe Routes to School initiative to improve child pedestrian safety around schools in Africa, where road traffic injury is the leading cause of death for children over age 5. Tom is Amend’s Deputy Director and is responsible for overseeing operations and activities in Ghana, Mozambique, and Tanzania. His background is in transport planning. After spending four years working as a consultant to the Highways Agency in the United Kingdom, he moved to Africa, recognizing the urgent need for improvements to road safety on the continent. He joined Amend in 2009 and spent approximately six months working in Ghana in 2010 and 2011, before basing himself permanently in Tanzania. Tom has significant experience in working with the government in Tanzania, and elsewhere in Africa, to improve policies and systems related to road safety. He developed the Amend’s programme to improve pedestrian infrastructure around the highest-risk primary schools in Dar es Salaam and has since overseen the roll-out of this work to ten countries across Africa. He is currently leading a research study into the safe use of motorcycles in rural Ghana, Kenya, Tanzania, and Uganda.
Pillar 5, Post-crash response
Teri Reynolds, Emergency and Trauma Care program lead of the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva and Chief Investigator of the WHO Global Alliance for the Care of the Injured Trauma Data Working Group, is a recognized leader in emergency system development and training in Africa. She will speak about her work on post-crash care, including the development of an Emergency Care Systems toolkit for ministries and policy makers, and promotion of wider and more standardized data collection for injury surveillance and trauma care quality improvement.
The following titles have been accepted for presentation at the 2018 AAAM Annual Conference.
- Advanced Driver Assistance Systems for Teen Drivers: A National Survey of Teen and Parent Perceptions
- Chest injuries of elderly Post Mortem Human Surrogates (PMHS) under seat belt and airbag loading in frontal sled impacts. Comparison to matching THOR tests.
- Computational Modeling and Analysis of Thoracolumbar Spine Fractures in Frontal Crash Reconstruction
- Deformation patterns in WorldSID 50th percentile dummy instrumented with IR-TRACC and RibEyeTM in different loading configurations
- Development of Injury Risk Models to Guide CT Evaluation in the Emergency Department after Motor Vehicle Collisions
- Effectiveness of Center Mounted Airbag in Far-Side Impact Using THOR ATD
- Epidemiology of Injury Patterns for 4 to 10-Year-Olds in Side and Oblique Impacts
- Evaluation of Alternative Intersection Treatments at Rural Cross-Roads Using Simulation Software
- Evolution of the Abbreviated Injury Scale: 1990 – 2015
- Fatal cyclist collisions in Australia
- Forward Collision Warning System Impact
- Nationwide Risk Factors For Reinjury After Motor Vehicle Crashes
- Near miss crashes and other predictors of motorcycle crashes: Findings from a population-based survey
- Non-linear models of injury risk, and implications in intervention targeting for thoracic injury mitigation
- Overview of a Comprehensive Evaluation for the Assessment of Panoramic Sunroof Impact Characteristics for Ejection Mitigation
- Passenger Head Kinematics in Abrupt Braking and Lane Change Events
- Prediction Model to Analyze Factors Affecting the Presence of Mild Whiplash Injury in Minor Motor Vehicle Crashes based on Korean In-Depth Accidents Study (KIDAS) Database
- Three-dimensional kinematic corridors of the head, spine, and pelvis for small female driver-seat occupants in near- and far-side oblique frontal impacts
- Usability of non-standard lower anchor configurations for child restraint system (CRS) installation
Short Communication Presentations
- An Awareness Campaign Decreases Distracted Driving Among Hospital Employees at a Rural Trauma Center
- Analysis of Injury Pattern according to Elderly and Non-Elderly Groups in Motor-driven Minor Crash Accident
- Are older drivers’ driving patterns during an on-road driving task representative of their real-world driving patterns?
- Before the crash: a systematic analysis of police narratives to determine the prevalence of pre-crash factors in fatality road transport crashes
- A Community Driving Under the Influence (DUI) Research Study
- Cycle Aware Package: using Haddon’s Matrix to reduce novice driver crashes with cyclists
- Decomposition analysis of the effects of vehicle safety technologies on the motor vehicle collision-related mortality rate from 1994-2015
- Effect of Occupational Demands on Driving Safety in Medical Residents
- Evaluating the Response of the PIPER Scalable Human Body Model Across Newer Child Restraining Seats in Simulated Frontal Crashes
- Fatal Crash between a Car Operating with Automated Control Systems and a Tractor-Semitrailer Truck
- Identifying MAIS3+ collisions within full police injury collision records.
- Influence of ATD versus PMHS Reference Sensor Inputs on Computational Brain Response in Frontal Impacts to Advanced Combat Helmet (ACH)
- Medical Investigation after a Motorcoach Strikes the Rear of a Tractor Semitrailer Parked on the Highway; 13 Fatal
- Perceived safety benefits, concerns, and utility of Advanced Driver Assistance Systems among owners of ADAS-equipped vehicles
- Preliminary data to identify cultural predictors of impaired driving from combining alcohol and cannabis.
- Risk of mild traumatic brain injury (mTBI) due to head acceleration in rear impact sled tests of passenger automobiles.
- Ten Year Review of BMW Accident Research Program Investigated Cases
- Time is on Your Side: Injury Severity Score Alone Predicts Mortality When Compared to EMS Prehospital Time for Motor Vehicle Trauma Patients Who Arrive Alive to Hospital
- Comparison of citation adjudication between older and younger drivers in Maryland.
- Does the 24/7 Sobriety Program Positively Influence Driver Behaviors in North Dakota?
- Driving While Impaired Offenders Show Selective Treatment Responsivity To Brief Motivational Interviewing Vs. Information And Advice Based Upon Subtype Membership
- Mental Representation of Traffic Signs and their Implication in Traffic Safety
- Mortality predictors in traumatic brain injury (TBI) due to motorcycle crash (MC) in a low and middle income country (LMIC) setting
- Pedestrians struck by motor vehicles: in search of a target for injury prevention
- Relationship between injury patterns and severity of motor vehicle accidents with meteorological patterns in a Korean island.
- Taking alcohol by deception: an analysis of ethanol concentration of “paraga” a popular alcoholic herbal mixture in Nigeria and its use among commercial motor drivers in a Nigerian city
- The challenges of enforcing cell phone use while driving laws among police: a qualitative study
- The Impact of Caffeine on Anesthesiology Resident Driving Simulator Performance Following a Week of Night Float